New Ph.D. Program at the UP CMC: Doctor of Philosophy in Media Studies
THE U.P. COLLEGE OF MASS COMMUNICATION OFFERS NEW PH.D. PROGRAM
The University of the Philippines College of Mass Communication instituted its newest and latest graduate studies offering, the Doctor of Philosophy in Media Studies. The program was approved by the UP Board of Regents last September 20, 2012. The new Ph.D. curricular offering will be implemented in 1st Semester 2013-2014 in June this year.
Using a critical cultural framework within the context of Philippine media, the new program is designed to contribute to the scholarly pursuit of understanding the media in the lives of Filipinos today. The CMC believes that the media are a significant area of study and that Philippine media are an area in which scholars are deeply interested and that the field of media is better understood with a multidisciplinary approach that the program prescribes.
Those who are interested in applying for admission to the program must have a Master’s degree from a recognized institution of higher learning in any Humanities or Social Science program; or if the Master’s degree is in the Natural Sciences, three years of media job experience or practice. The applicant must have a General Weighted Average (GWA) of 1.75 or better. Proof of proficiency in English and/or Filipino is also a requisite for application; Foreign applicants who obtained their Master’s degree abroad must show proof that they passed the standard Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 500 or if it is a computer-based TOEFL, a score of 250.
Interested applicants may also visit the Graduate Studies Department or the Office of the Student Records Evaluator at the College of Mass Communication located at Plaridel Hall, Ylanan Road, UP Diliman Campus or call PLDT 920-6867.
- Must be a holder of bachelor’s degree and/or masters degree for PhD applicants
- Must pass the written entrance examination and interview
- Must have a GWA of 2.0 or better for MA in Communication, MA in Journalism, and MAMS Broadcast; 2.25 or better for MAMS Film; and 1.75 for PhD in Communication and PhD in Media Studies
- A non-refundable application fee of P200 or US $50 for foreign applicants
- Must submit the following:
- Application for admission duly accomplished [DOWNLOAD APPLICATION FORM]
- Letter of application addressed to the Dean of the College
- Transcript of records (original and photocopy)
- Diploma of undergraduate and/or graduate (original and photocopy)
- Two (2) 2x2 inch picture
- Certified true copy of the birth certificate (original and photocopy)
- A photo copy of marriage contract (for married women only)
- Four (4) recommendations for admission duly filled out by competent individuals who are in the best position to assess applicant’s potential for graduate workTOEFL (for foreign applicants only)
UP CMC GRADUATE PROGRAMS:
- Master of Arts in Communication
- Master of Arts in Journalism
- Master of Arts in Media Studies (Broadcast)
- Master of Arts in Media Studies (Film)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Communication
- Doctor of Philosophy in Media Studies
Deadline for filing Application for Admission:
First Semester: April 15
Second Semester: August 31
Tuition and other fees:
Deposit/Entrance Fee (for new students only)